Honey, aside from being a tasty snack, can be used for a variety of home and health-related applications. Honey is one of nature’s purest foods for promoting general health. There are so many health benefits to honey; it truly is nature’s super food.
Raw honey contains 27 minerals, 22 amino acids and 5,000 live enzymes. It keeps you healthy by fighting disease and boosting the digestive system. One daily spoonful in your tea or spread on your toast is all that is needed to reap these benefits.
Even the Bible tells you to eat honey!
“My son, eat thou honey, because it is good; and the honeycomb, which is sweet to thy taste” Proverbs 24:13
Here are a few unconventional uses for honey:
- Immune System Booster – Health buffs are known to drink a teaspoon of honey daily, along with their morning vitamins. Though still not scientifically proven, the daily consumption of honey is said to strengthen your immune system. You can give it a shot, you’ve got nothing to lose anyway.
- Enhances Vitamin A – Vitamin A is the nutrient that fosters better eyesight, especially when consumed in significant quantities. If you mix items that are rich in Vitamin A with honey, the effects are slightly increased.
- Improves Blood Flow – Honey, being rich in glucose, is known to improve the blood flow through the fortification of blood’s formation. Glucose provides energy in the bloodstream, which is distributed throughout the body. As a result, the blood produced has the proper consistency, flowing smoothly through the blood vessels. Glucose is believed to prevent capillary damage due to its ability to improve your blood flow.
- Colon Damage Prevention – Colitis, a disease that damages the colon, induces much discomfort for the afflicted. You can minimize the effects of the disease if you drink some honey daily. The antioxidants found in honey is said to strengthen and improve the resistance of the colon. In addition, it is used in folk medicine as a means for curing colon-related conditions.
- Energy Booster – Why buy palpitation-inducing energy drinks when you already have honey? Mix honey with some water then drink the solution. Honey’s glucose content will be absorbed by the brain and in the bloodstream, reducing fatigue in the process. You’ll be healthy and quite happy just by consuming the simple solution.
- Remedy for Burns – A burn is not only painful, the marks also last for a good number of days before healing up. By applying honey on your burn, the hydrogen peroxide released cleans the wound and soothes the inflammation. As a result, the burn marks will heal in a few days with less pain. Use honey as a dressing for maximum results.
- Treatment for Sore Throat – Some people believe that honey is an even better treatment for coughs and colds than over-the-counter medicine. To create the sore throat-relieving serum, squeeze the juice from a lemon and mix it with some honey. Stir the mixture until both ingredients blend. Drink the solution. After a few moments, you will realize that your sore throat has been cured, or at least reduced. Just continue to make more rounds until you are finally free from colds.
- Honey is great for cuts and wounds – Honey has been used to treat wounds for thousands of years. The antiseptic properties of honey will clean wounds and inhibit bacterial growth. Its natural antibiotic and antibacterial properties aid in treating cuts and burns.
- Honey can be a beneficial additive to your diet – Unlike refined sugar, honey contains vitamins and minerals. Refined sugars are void of vitamins and minerals. The body must utilize its store of valuable nutrients to digest refined sugar. This process depletes the supply of minerals essential to dissolve cholesterol and fats. Honey helps metabolize cholesterol and fatty acid preventing obesity.
- Honey as a natural beauty product has unlimited possibilities – It can be used as a facial mask, hair conditioner, skin moisturizer and more. It is has natural humectants with the ability to replenish the moisture level in skin without adding oil. Honey is a popular anti aging skin care ingredient in many commercial moisturizers. Using honey as a facial mask will exfoliate, clarify and unclog pores. Honey is a wonderful deep conditioning treatment for dry hair. After shampooing, smooth honey through your hair from root to tip. Be sure to rinse it out completely. Your hair will be left soft, bouncy and full of shine
For even more uses for Honey check out these resources