Pan-fried Tilapia Sandwich with Spicy Chipotle Tartar Sauce
Pan-fried Tilapia Sandwich with Spicy Chipotle Tartar Sauce:
4 Tilapia fillets
1 cup Flour
1 tsp Paprika
Â¼ tsp Salt
Â¼ tsp Black Pepper
Â½ cup Crushed Panko Bread Crumbs
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
Kosher salt and White pepper to taste
Chipotle Tartar Sauce:
1 cup Mayonnaise
2 tbsp Chopped Dill Pickle
Â½ tsp ground Chipotle Chili Powder
1 tbsp Chopped Red Onion
Â¼ tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
Salt and black Pepper to taste
1 Â½ cup Finely Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Â¼ tsp Lemon Juice
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
1 Whole Wheat French Bread cut into 4 equal parts and split down the midde.
- Rinse fish off in cold water
- Preheat oven on broil
- Pat dry fish with paper towel
- Combine flour with crushed panko bread crumbs, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Combine all ingredients for spicy tartar sauce and stir to combine.
- Season tilapia with salt and white pepper to taste
- Place large Teflon pan oven medium heat and pour in olive oil
- Dredge tilapia in flour mixture and shake off excess.
- When small wisps of smoke are seen rising from the pan carefully lay tilapia in pan. Set timer for 4 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients for seasoned lettuce
- Carefully flip tilapia after cooking and reset timer for 4 minutes
- Place French bread in oven split side up and watch carefully until golden brown then remove from oven
- When timer goes off remove tilapia from pan and place on paper towel to absorb excess grease
- To build sandwich spread some spicy tartar sauce on bottom half of bread place 1 fish fillet on top of tartar sauce, next add some seasoned lettuce and top half of bread.
- Cut each sandwich on a bias and serve.
Recipe by Jason Jensen, Executive Chef & Graduate of Johnson & Wales University